Hi Stefan,

nice to meet you. I don't know much about CJK fonts. I'll try to give you some answer.

Regards,

On 06/14/2013 03:07 PM, Stefan Knorr wrote:
Hi all, Zao,

As an introduction: I am part of the documentation team & working on the
(hopefully future) design of SUSE's manuals.

I researched CJK fonts a bit and how to best deal with them, but a few
questions remained.

#1  I saw that e.g. Microsoft uses different default fonts for
     Chinese/simplified, Chinese/traditional, Japanese & Korean text.
     I don't quite understand this, as there are many fonts which seem to
     cover  the whole spectrum of CJK characters (like WenQuanYi Micro
     Hei [1], which I am currently using). Why? Are there common
     characters (i.e. Chinese traditonal characters) that are written
     differently between countries?
     (Or, in other words, is it appropriate to confront Japanese, Korean
     or RoC users with fonts designed for mainland China?)

CJK are 4 different languages, so it is true that different fonts are selected as default fonts. Yes, UFT-8 covers also more languages, so for example chinese font (encoding UTF-8) could contains Japanese and Korean character.

traditional chinese has own fonts because it uses different characters than simplified chinese.

#2  I learned that I should use a Hei Ti/Kei Ti font instead of making
     text bold/italic [2].
     * How do Hei Ti and Kei Ti styles relate to Ming fonts? What are the
       differences?

HeiTi(黑体) is some how like bold fonts, but I would say it is more a style, it is not related to font properties. KaiTi (楷体) is just another fonts. So for both Chinese we can use same style (fonts) like HeiTi and KaiTi, but they are still different characters.

Ming is a beautifl font, it has own style.

     * Since my chosen font, WQY Micro Hei is already a Hei font (I would
       assume), what script types would I need to use instead for
       bold/italic?

 Actually HeiTi looks already bold, so we think that is a property of Heiti which is not correct, you can even format the HeiTi to italic bold :) but normally you can use HeiTi for simplified Chinese as default, MingTi as default for traditional Chinese.

     * What kind of font is considered most readable? (I learned e.g.
       that in Arabic countries the more geometric Kufic script is often
       considered to be badly readable.)

heiti or mingti.

     * I learned that Japanese supports "emphasis lines" and "emphasis
       dots". Do these work in left-to-right text, too (I have only seen
       an example in top-to-bottom style)? Do these features exist for
       Chinese, too?

Yes, this is special CJK-feature, the characters can be turned for 90°, so do dot lines.

Normally we don't use them for documentation in software. Mostly they are used in Newspapers (in Japan) and some old style books like poem or novel.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan.

[1] http://wenq.org/wqy2/index.cgi
[2]