Hi H-P,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:31:33PM +0100, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 12:29 schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
> > This only affects a *small* subset of ISDN and DSL cards and exactly
> > one wireless chipset (atheros). I fully expect that the GPL driver
>
> The only wireless chipset/pci card, which handles wpa encryption - cool.

My prism2 works with WPA, as did ipw2x00 when I last tested.

[...]
> > Personally, I think this is entirely acceptable since it reduces
> > support load on SUSE kernel developers (less tainted oopses) and
> > respects the express will of the kernel developing community.
>
> Sure, disappointing customers definitely reduces the support load in
> every company. Such an attitude will actively damage the reputation of
> SUSE and you know - one disappointed customer has much more weight (and
> will spread the word louder) than ten satisfied ones.

I don't think Carl-Daniel wanted to make the point that SUSE kernel
developers want to work less. But they can lose a lot of time with
trying to work on issues that can not be resolved due to the presence
of closed kernel modules. No theory, sad fact of life. I think their
time is better invested if they work on improving the open-source
drivers and get more of them into Linux and the distribution. Long-term
it means better hardware support, not worse.

[...]
> How about
> "New driver architecture - Novells disaster seekers strike back"

Cynicism is always nice :-)

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff, Head Architect, Director SUSE Labs (act.), Novell Inc.