Joseph M. Gaffney schrieb:
> A recent thread [1] on suseforums at  is ongoing and discussing the webcam
> support in SUSE.
>
> I replied to the thread with a link to the Novell Cool Solutions feature on
> compiling kernel drivers by example [2] , which uses the pwc module [3] as an
> example.  Is there any reason why webcam support is not included out of the
> box yet?

IIRC, the "reverse-engineered" pwc driver was just decompiled, which is
illegal in many jurisdictions. That's also why it was removed from the
official kernel shortly after it had entered.
For details, see http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/2/94 and
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=88c1834633341bbb94e315433067496338bff4ad

I doubt the hi-resolution variant(*) of this driver is ever going to ship in a
SUSE product. It would be suicide to include it.

* The controversy was about the compression module. You can still use
the driver with low resolutions.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel