Am Dienstag, 28. Februar 2006 12:55 schrieb Jens Siebert:
> Hi there,
>
> what version of GNOME will be integrated into Suse 10.1? Currently there
> still is 2.12.x in the factory-tree but 2.14 is currently in the final
> stages of development.
>
> Greetings
>
> Jens Siebert

I would guess that, because it hasn't been finalised before 10.1 reached Beta
status 2.14 will have to wait for 10.2, or be an unsupported package like
2.12 is with 10.0.

Don't forget the SUSE guys have to do a lot of integration work to make sure
it works reliably within the framework of SUSE Linux, it isn't just a case of
taking the 2.14 source and compiling it and bundling it. There needs to be a
lot of internal testing, re-configuration etc. before it would be ready for
beta testing, and the beta testing is now on Beta 5, and you can see the
problems that throwing the new package manager in at a late stage...

If 2.14 doesn't give an overwhelming security reason to upgrade immediately,
then it will, I assume, have to wait until it can be safely put into the
development production line for 10.2.

Forcing it into 10.1 would probably push back the release date unacceptably.

Obviously I'm not on the development team, so I can't give an official answer,
but that is the logical situation for 12.4...

Dave
--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing