David Wright wrote:
> Just a word of warning regarding the new default partition sizes suggested by
> YaST. I have a 10GB root partition on my laptop and just went to install IBM
> Rational Software Architect. The install files take up around 2.5GB of space
> and the installed program itself takes another 2GB (I eliminated some of the
> options I didn't need)

Let's assume users have got a DVD burning device. Then the default setup
of a SUSE 10.1 installation puts intermediate burning files into /tmp.
Which is normally a directory under /. So just for this very purpose we
almost 10GB free space. Otherwise users will just fail when duplicating
a double layer DVD. And there is no checking by the burning program if
/tmp has got enough space and even if so, the burning program would not
even disclose where and how to change its temporary directory.
Therefore a "valid" configuration for a full desktop setup needs either
a separate 10GB "/tmp "partition or at least a 16GB "/" partition.
Anything else would get an ordinary user in trouble as soon as DVD
burning comes into place.

FMF