jdd wrote:
> Ulrich Windl wrote:

>>> Sure you can. But you have to remove the 9.2 installation source
>>> first, then add the 9.3 installation source, then do system upgrade.
>>>
>> Should be copied to the help text Yast is displaying ;-)
>
> AFAIK system _upgrade_ cannot be done like this, needs a
> kernel change, so must be done with the install/update procedure

That's what the "system update" option in yast2 is for.
It's for that and for nothing else ;)

"needs a kernel change"... and your point is ... ?
If you upgrade from, say, 10.0 to 10.1, you'll have an upgrade of the
kernel package (unless you've installed KOTD ;)).
And even if you don't, I think "system upgrade" forces a reinstallation
of the kernel package anyway (AFAICT).

> always the update/upgrade confusion?

I agree, it would better be called "system upgrade" instead of "system
update". "update" implies it is meant for staying on the same SUSE
version but updating every package to the latest available version.
You can achieve that with yast2's "system update" as well, but that's
not what it is meant for, and... it will force the reinstallation of the
kernel.

Doing it the proper way is a pain in yast2 btw: select categories, go to
"zzz", and choose "update all" (or something like that). That's not very
intuitive.
But maybe it's something most people shouldn't do anyway, also because
the SUSE Linux RPMs that are on the HTTP/FTP servers have higher release
numbers than the ones on the media (although they're the same packages),
so you'll probably end up downloading 1GB of files with 80% just keeping
the same effective version/release. Of course, only if you have added a
HTTP/FTP repository of SUSE Linux to your list of installation sources ;)

Let's hope for a better engine with Zen/libzypp, because frankly, when
compared to smart or apt-rpm, YaST2's package management engine is
pretty weak. I mean, smart _never_ has to ask how to resolve a conflict,
it just does exactly what you tell it to do (but at the expense of using
a _lot_ of memory, as it has to have all the necessary repository
metadata in memory to be so... smart ;)).

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>