> On Thursday 20 April 2006 22:10, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > > Perhaps I'm just whining or venting some steam, but the aggressive
> > > release-schedule isn't doing me much good.
> >
> > I too am very concerned about this and agree 1000%.  I wonder the same
> > thing.  I do not want to complain but I have real concerns.
>
> It's not long ago we went from weekly to bi-weekly releases ;)
>
> I think that was a correct decision though.

I understand the change.  My problem is with all the last minute package
... (installation/support/upgrade/method-changes...)  I feel like too much
could go untested or HW/BIOS/System problems not in test machines.  Once
it is released I think it may be used in untested ways with problem not
seen in all our quick checking.  A lot of the problems are usually caught
in the alpha and early betas.  The package manangement at such a late time
frame in release cycle leaves me really uneasy.  I still do not get clean
installations to the level of previous releases/RC canadits with 10.1.

> However I don't think there are many lessons that can be learned from
> the 10.1 development process. Other than too much new immature stuff has
> been put in, if SUSE Linux is supposed to be a nice stable distro in
> it's own right - and not just a SLED test platform. However I trust that
> the problems we're experiencing now won't happen again next time around
> - 10.1 is an extraordinary release. I expect 10.2 won't be nearly as
> hard on testers and devs as 10.1 has been/is.

At such a late time frame...  Usually I have many clean installs with the
RC's.  I have not had one.  Also, I am concerned with the HW support or
possible missing support that was in many previous releases.  I am not
sure how the NO non-GPL HW drivers will finally be.  I am still struggling
testing Supported HW that has bugs or issues.  They all are in bugzilla
that I have looked up.  Some I can not get to the point of understanding
what is going wrong.  Things that we normally do not fight at this stage
are causing a lot of work.  I fear there may be subtle things that no one
has got to because of the current bugs.

> I hope I'm not kidding myself ;)

I too.  I think the last minute changes caused this.  I do not think we
will see this done again because of what has happened.  I think it is the
biggest lesson learned.  I have most of my machines with only 128 M or 256
M memory.  Current releases are more demanding on memory.  I usually have
1G - 2G swap space and they are experiencing a lot of paging/usage.  I
only have one test machine with more than 256 M memory.  I do not want to
sacrifice a production machine with the current state of RC's.  I usually
use one production machine at this stage, but I just can not afford to
have it down and not working.

Hence my concerns.

Thanks for such a good distribution.

- --
Boyd Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047