What files are to be edited or deleted so that it is clear that it is your
own distribution based on the 3 or 5 CD set and no longer Novell's?

As far as I can see you need to edit the following files.
/COPYRIGHT*
/LICENCE.txt
/README*
/SuSEgo.ico
/autorun.inf
/content

/boot/*/LIESMICH*
/boot/*/README*
/boot/*/loader/* #Several files. Mainly removing SUSE name and change some JPGs

/media.1/licence.zip
/media.1/products

/suse/setup/README
/suse/setup/README
/suse/setup/slide/*

Naturaly if you want something of your own, you most likely will change
/control.xml as well as *.sel and add, replace or remove RPMs. That hoever
is left as an exercise of the perason making his own variation.

Am I missing files? I guess it is not something that everyubody will be
doing. OTOH it is nice if this is explained for people who do want to do
it.

I have heard a few times that you just need to remoce the SUSE and Novell
references. I just have not yet seen wich ones they are exactly.

So question one is what files to edit.
Question 2 is if you are allowed to say that it is based on SUSE or not.
Question 3 is if there are any other limitations or requirements.
--
houghi          http://houghi.org       http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/