* Pascal Bleser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Jul 23. 2006 12:50]:

> I totally agree, upgrading packages is a major pain.

Its mostly caused by historical reasons.

Our main focus was on controlled (and controllable) customer environments
for support purposes. Giving the user the ability to upgrade whatever
package from any repository was (and still is) a supporters nightmare ;-)

And this is still true for most enterprise systems. Sysadmins will never
upgrade because a newer version is available but only because of a fixed
bug or a required feature.

> IMO upgrading packages should be a one-click, show a proposal, give the
> option to deselect some upgrade operations (if needed), and then a
> confirmation button, that's it.

zen-updater (and 'rug' on the command line) give you this ability.

Klaus