On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 07:19:55PM +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> btw, just to make sure I got that right, can patterns be organized into
> a tree (i.e. do they have a hierarchy) ?
> e.g. Development/Database/Server

As patterns can contain other patterns, I would say: yes.

> I really see a risk of ending up with chaos here.
> To continue on my analogy with RPM groups and .desktop categories: if we
> didn't have a closed set of options to choose from (as defined in the
> SUSE Package Conventions), it would be havoc and the end-user KDE/GNOME
> menus wouldn't be very deep.

Yes and no. e.g somebody makes a pattern 'Non SUSE multi-media' that
includes all the MPlayer and mad libraries.
e.g. when I now select MPlayer, I get all the extra codecs as well. So
what the patern would have is e.g.:
MPlayer, xmms-mad and k3b-mad (Don't shoot me if this is already included
when installing MPlayer)

> At the very least, let's keep a pattern database (or rather, just a
> list) to try to reuse existing patterns if they match.

A database would be extremely helpfull, especially if it were outside of
SUSE. That way anybody can add their patterns.

Would patterns also be able to contain information about installation
sources? e.g. if I use a pattern, it will offer me (or add automagicaly)
to add an extra installation source?

--
The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.