houghi wrote:
> I just looked at http://en.opensuse.org/Patterns
> I don't see much going on there. Does this mean that this is the final
> proposal?
>
> I have added some, that I felt were missing. Even if they are not
> selected, I hope to keep the discussion going and we can't afford to get
> it wrong.
>
> The main thing I did was add some graphical enviroments (including CLI)
> and add office and games. The thing I miss most is 'normal' programs for
> the end-user.
>
> Also would it not be easier to use the current package groups as a start
> and then go from there? e.g. when I look at just games, I see:
> Amusement
> |--Games
> |  |--3D
> |  |  |--Other
> |  |  |--Race
> |  |  `-- ...
> |  |--Action
> |  |  |--Arcade
> |  |  `--....
> |  |--Board
> |  `--...
> `--Toys
>    |--Background
>    `--...
>
> Seems like an awefull good place to start. This has been made over the
> years and I would think it to be a pity to just throw the knowledge away.
> Also realize that many people who use SUSE for years know where to look,
> so even if it is not going to be the main pattern, it would be nice to
> have a pattern "Ye Olde S.u.S.E. way" that contained the familiar groups
> people know.

This and many other projects / jobs depends on naming schema.
When Andreas announced patterns, I stated to think, by n-th time, how to
organize all the software in an easy to remember groups, how to define
categories, subcategories, and further subsub...categories.

The way I understand patterns, is to allow for smaller software groups
(package modules) that can be reused for bigger ones, up to the
installation system.

It might be just me, but up to now I haven't seen any comprehensive
analysis how to categorize all software included in openSUSE repository.

That is huge task and it should be split in smaller steps, that single
person can comprehend. I tried to solve similar problem with
openSUSE.org categories looking in http://dmoz.org (open directory
project) for examples, but it wasn't helpful for me.

I would try to see what kind of computers are in use, what should be
installed by default on each to make it the most usable right out of the
box:
desktop, workstation (audio, video, graphic), gaming, general purpose,
laptop, ...
server, ...
etc.
When we have this defined than we can discuss what software should be
included in each category. If we have no clear target(s) all grouping
and regrouping is just playing around existing software groups.

That is basically start from scratch, but it is also the only way to
create usable usage patterns that can be translated to patterns as a
software groups.

--
Regards,
Rajko.