> jdd wrote:
>
>> by kind of desktop:
>>
>> * kde
>> * gnome
>> * windowmaker
>> * xfce
>> * others (fvwm,...)
>> * no graphics at all
>
> Some of that choice - KDE/Gnome/other - is today made even before you
> choose groups of software.  I still think the grouping should be mostly
> about the role the system is intended for, but obviously the type of
> desktop is important.  The other choices you have listed - windowmaker,
> xfce, fvwm, etc - are probably less often used, and whilst the
> grouping/software config must be flexible, we also have to draw a line.
> The grouping is after all a compromise between a completely default
> install without options, and the other extreme of having to select all
> packages yourself :-)
>

> /Per

You proposal is the way to go.

I think that wiki would be the best place to make wishes and extensions
to your basic proposal. With little luck with Patterns advertising, so
that many users can find the discussion page, there will be sufficient
interest and activity to make good base for Andreas.

I'll add Patterns to categories Development, Package Management and
YaST. Link from Patterns to Patterns/Framework where will be discussed
the general way how to set patterns up, with your proposal. Than it is
up to Andreas to put link to article and discussion in some more
prominent place like News or similar.

--
Regards,
Rajko.