Hi,

Robert Schiele schrieb:
> Sure, latest SUSE shipped version _is_ 1.9.6.
>
> But if this is a problem for people, then the same patch for the latest and
> greatest:

It's not a problem for me, but it would be a problem for upstream, and
it has to go upstream, otherwise it doesn't make any sense - see below
for reasons.

Thanks for the updated patch.

> If someone sends this patch there now, this is easy.  Otherwise I will send in
> about 10 days when I am back at home again and have the time to read all the
> mailing lists.  If someone else sends it, I will be reachable by mail, just
> don't want to send something to mailing lists I currently don't read.

The patch needs to be extended to cover the texinfo documentation and
the testsuite as well. That is not difficult to do, but it should be
done before posting the patch there.

> It can be used even when the upstream integration process has not been
> completed because it is in my opinion a much better solution than the current
> script, even when the patch is not yet in upstream code.

No, see Stephan Kulow's post: That would break compatibility for those
users who install a newer automake version from the upstream tarball.
The self-installed automake would no longer find the GNOME macros.

This currently works, ironically thanks to SuSEconfig, but would no
longer work with this patch instead of SuSEconfig unless the patch is
included upstream.

> Sure we need an extension mechanism for that.  What do you think was the
> reason for implementing this dirlist stuff in aclocal at all?

Actually I think that the reason for implementing it with SuSEconfig was
laziness. It is a very ugly solution because it breaks using the dirlist
file for local settings, the user is forced to use a SUSE-only
dirlist.d/* file.

Per se, it is not a bad feature at all, but a quick search on
http://rpm.pbone.net for dirlist.d shows that it's currently really
SUSE-only, which is bad. I was not aware of that when proposing this change.

> In my opinion it is a desired feature.  It should be made a non-SUSE-only
> feature but as long as mainstream does not have it it does not really hurt
> because we had it anyway up to now by the script and nobody is forced to use
> it.

As long as upstream automake reads only the dirlist file and not the
dirlist.d directory, SuSEconfig is the better solution and dropping it
would hurt those who update to an upstream version. So we really need
either SuSEconfig or this patch in upstream CVS, but not this patch as a
SUSE-only replacement for SuSEconfig.automake.

Andreas Hanke