jdd wrote:

> there is already such a help during install (the left column). It is a
> very good thing, but could probably be enhanced. may be the left column
> is not the better place, small width column is not that pleasant to read.

I didn't mention that help as it is not always what is actually needed,
and little place for text, as you mentioned, is what it makes that way.

> some contents could be default values (ie for IP, "if you don't know,
> use 192.168.0.2") or "you can di this later with yast/networks"

YaST installation already makes many good guesses. I would have to go
step by step to find places where it might be better.

>> Assuming that something can be made simple by removing screen content is
>>  plain wrong,
>
> depends of the screen content :-)

I meant removing content as highest priority and general rule, not that
nothing has to be changed/improved.

>> You can safely assume that if http, that one can see every moment during
>> browsing, doesn't mean nothing to user, than "web server" means even
>> lesser.
>
> do you really type http each time? do you know it's optional? :-).

:-)
I said you can see. That doesn't mean that anyone reads that, and even
lesser types ;-)

> for most people, http mean an html page, not a server. Most people can
> understand Apache is the better web server, used anywhere, but why is
> apache used as "httpd", why is the web site located in .../htdocs ?

The most of the people that is using Linux fit in above sentence, but
most of the people are actually using preinstalled OS, and they know
that Apache is member of Apache tribe. For them expression "Apache is
web server" has some other meaning, if any at all.

> many many things can be enhanced with good doc coming right when it's
> usefull. I like much the little windows coming under the mouse cursor
> and the two levels of such things OpenOffice.org have; but I don't see
> such thing at install time :-)

Key F1 advertised on every screen with message "Press F1 for help" that
provides context sensitive help, will do a good job. Those little
windows means more programming that SUSE guy have to do, and they don't
work with text mode.

Generally, yes they are useful.
Specially if programmer didn't forget that some people don't need them
and included option to turn them off :-)

>> Whoever wants to play with "do it yourself" web server, must learn some
>> basic information about how the web works, and there is no way to skip
>> it.
>
> what surprised me the most was how much it is easy to have his own web
> server running (not on the internet, only in intranet) - time ago this
> was default on most distros (try "localhost" in the browser :-)

I meant real web server, not Intranet.

>>> May be yast could have a two level "swhowroom", one for only newcommers,
>>> the other for more experienced user (and the better of them will
>>> probably never use yast :-) - but this is not for install.
>>
>> That is what Azerion proposes as default (no information) and expert
>> (all available settings).
>
> may be not. The expert needs the less information. The newbie needs
> infos and little options

Wrong expression, sorry. Under information I meant total screen content
with questions, input fields, help buttons, "do it" buttons.

Sincerely I would appreciate one big list of all selections and
configuration options, that I can fill at once, and that let installer
work it's way to the bootable system.

> There where several parts in Azerion mail (if I correctly understand).
> He asked for a full screen YaST, why not? and for an simple/expert
> install, what is not stupid.

I can agree with that. Window frame doesn't mean nothing during
installation, as it has no function like normal. I think that they use
it just because it is easier to program same look and feel with the rest
of the YaST, not that it is really needed.

> We could have "basic options" (do the rest later), and "all options".
> Not really a newbie/oldtimer difference, but in the first you have a
> working system fast and with the second you could answer all the
> questions at first and let it work later (may be)

We have basic and all options hidden under "Other" button, and almost
all is KDE or GNOME.

>> YaST is already configured that way and there is no much playroom for
>> further simplification,
>
> I don't think the problem is really there. the problem is that _at
> install time_ we have very few power at hand, don't know of the hardware
> and need a very small ram requirement. so we can't give all the bells
> and whistles we would like to have.

I understand what you mean, but comments were about simplification of
installation process that is visible to users. There is not much to do,
at least nothing that will deserve attribute "radical change".

More power at install time would be very good.
I'm not a CLI guru, and that is all what you have during boot time.
I can do most of tasks, but I feel better if I have handy Midnight
Commander.

>> 2) driver works for a specific hardware
>
> 3) driver is buggy (I mean hardware on board driver), it's not normal
> that cdrom could freeze a computer, but some do)

That comes under faulty hardware specifications. One is written and the
other is happening.

The CDROM has a little chance to freeze computer, but driver that has no
fallback to very basic IDE state, or breaks when get improper answer
from device, can do that easily.

>> Present status is that YaST installation is designed very safe for dual
>> boot systems,
>
> and it should stay so...

Agree.
What has to be added is an option, very minimal installation that makes
drive writable (resized and formated) very early. That will allow to
trace interrupted installation attempts, as described in previous mail.

--
Regards,
Rajko.