One of the many features I'm greatly looking forward to in 10.2 is the
opensuse-updater (zen-updater replacement for KDE users).

See more here:
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_Updater_Applet

It's not yet in factory but it's possible to test it in alpha4 nevertheless,
here's how.

1) Install it
You can install an rpm supplied by Duncan Mac-Vivar:
http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/dmacvicar/SUSE_Linux_10.1/

The rpm is for 10.1 but works just fine on alpha4.

Or you can install from the tarball provided if you feel like it:
https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6791

2) Tweak some settings
Before you can test it you need to change a few things.

Give the user superuser privileges:
# rug ua <username>

then

+superuser

Then <enter> to exit

3) Start the applet
Currently starts with the command (using the RPM): SUSEUpdater

4) Enable tcp
Click the systray icon -> click Add/remove servers -> click Advanced
options -> set TCP "on" -> close the options window and reopen it

Now you should be ready to update your alpha using this nice updater.

Here's a screenshot of it running on my alpha4 install:
http://www.linuxin.dk/eyecandy/2160_2.jpg

So far there's only a zmd backend - but backends for zypp and smart are
planned.

I'm sure Narayan will welcome any feedback and (coding) contributions he can
get. I only wish I could do more to support this project.

Write to:
narayannewton [at] users.berlios.de