Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2006 21:36 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
> Manfred Tremmel wrote:
> > Ok, when "-target 1.4" is used to build the packages, I don't have
> > anything against building the packages with java 1.5.0.
> > Would be bad not to be able to user jdbc drivers or anything else
> > with gcj or Sun's java 1.4.2.
>
> I don't understand what you mean.

What I mean is, when SUSE switches to build all the delivered java
packages with java 1.5.0 without backwardcompatibility, they will not
work with gcj or Sun's java 1.4.2, what (as I've understood) should be
allready be part of the next release.

> For your own code, just use -source 1.4 -target 1.4

Right, but when SUSE itselve doesn't do this, I will not be able to
start a delivered tomcat, Eclipse, with 1.4.2 and all the libs
(my /usr/share/java directory is full of jar files which are part of
the SUSE distribution) wouldn't be useable with gcj or Sun's java
1.4.2.
My hope is to get a *open* java for a *open*SUSE. I don't think Sun's
java will be open in near future, it's a process starting with the next
version, but will take a while, and maybe the wind changes inbetween.
So I hope, gcj + classpath could replace Sun java, so we shouldn't
build walls creating with getting incompatible jar-files.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/
Manfred      | http://www.knightsoft-net.de