Hi,

Warren Stockton schrieb:
> It would be great if kernel-debug could be made optional AND
>  1) if it can also co-exist with kernel-default

What does co-existance mean in this context? Multiple kernel packages
can already be installed in parallel - do you mean something else?

>  2) have its own bootloader entries rather than stealing /boot/vmlinuz
> and /boot/initrd

Installing any kernel package in addition to an already installed one
does the following:

- Rename the existing vmlinuz and initrd symlinks to .previous

- Create new vmlinuz and initrd symlinks pointing to the just installed
kernel

- Create a new bootloader entry named "Previous kernel" pointing to the
.previous symlinks

Changing this behaviour for kernel-debug is questionable because the
same script is being used for all kernel flavours. It would be some work
and also a bit inconsistent IMHO - currently the last installed kernel
"wins", but the previous one is still available.

> It would also be great if crash Require'd kernel-debuginfo.  The
> kernel-*-debuginfo packages would need to Provide kernel-debuginfo, so that
> when crash was selected for installation the correct kernel-*-debuginfo was
> selected based on the currently installed kernel (default or bigsmp)

This is not trivial because the -debuginfo packages are autogenerated by
a script. I don't know if it's even possible to add dependencies
manually for these packages.

Andreas Hanke