I just did a new attempt with 10.2 alpha 5 x86_64 on a Dell Precision 490 Xeon workstation. Happily the alpha4 USB mouse problem was fixed and the Gnome dekstop was possible to start testing. But I encountered several issues during the installation or with the setup after login, as noted below.

Selected installation of Gnome as default desktop (+ most of Gnome and KDE incl. Desktop Effects and Remote Desktop), Xen server and other server utilities (NFS, Print, File, Web & LAMP).

Even the Internet connection test with latest version notes responded OK, yet the following, suggested online configuration responded a fault with the Internet connection and didn't work!

After login to Gnome, there was 17 software updates available. But the Zen updater ran into "Dependency Resolution Failed" error (as usual). Didn't come further with this.

During the installation configuration my NVIDIA Quadro FX550 card and Dell 2405 FPW WUXGA monitor were automatic detected and setup correct with 1920x1200 resolution and 24 bit colordepth using the OSS "nv" driver, Fine! But I wished to use 3D for Xgl/Compiz and installed the latest NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64 proprietary driver according to the Howto for Suse users. So far so good.

Went afterwards into Gnome Control Center > Desktop Effects to enable 3D and Xgl. Both 3D and Desktop Effects were disabled. Though my Quadro FX550 is still on the "not tested yet" part of the xgl HCL, it was NOT even possible to force enabling 3D/Xgl with the suggested Shift and dual click!

It was neither possible to start SaX2 from the button in Desktop Effects, nor from the traditional program menu added to the panel. Started ok from YaST2>Graphic Card and display, but 3D was greyed out in SaX2 and it didn't sound possible to get 3D enabled there. Tried also "glxinfo" in a terminal, but the command wasn't found, remarkable as this did work in 10.1.

Among other issues I noticed on my first test are:

Starting YaST2 from an added launcher on the panel, doesn't ask for a privileged password, but starts YaST2 in the limited "user mode" directly.

Trying to add a launcher for "Monitoring CPU frequences" to the panel, responded this tools wasn't supported.

Wished to cusomize my login window preferences, but it didn't start from the menu i.e. More aplication>System>Login Windows, and responded with error message "gdmsetup", no such file or map.

A visual issue in application's pulldown menus (i.e Firefox), is that when pointing on menu entries with the mouse pointer, the activated text becomes invisible (maybe due to a text vs background color issue)

Tried to download (rpm) files with Firefox, and it worked only using left- lick on the url to download directly on the desktop. Using the normal right-click to save the file on a selected file/map didn'work. Nothing happened after Clicking the "Save" button.

Comments, suggestions, confirmations or other experiences?

Rgds,
Terje J. Hanssen