Per Jessen schrieb:
> I believe that Novell would like to sell a product that is pleasing to
> the eye too.  So when I call such a drastic change in icons "ugly",
> yes, I do believe it will work.  I don't think they're inconsistent nor
> do I think they're out of place, I only think they're ugly and dull (in
> comparison to the previous set).

OK, let's disagree then ;-)

With many different bug reports in many different open source projects,
I repeatedly made the experience that using vocabulary of the "ugly and
dull" category is a very efficient way to get one's wishes addressed
later and worse (or maybe even not at all!) instead of faster and better
because it forces the one who made the decision into a position of
defending himself instead of cooperating with you. But let's see.

> Maybe so - nonetheless you suggested that a plain user of openSUSE would
> be likely to create a new set of icons - presumably when you're quite
> well aware that doing so requires significant graphical and artistical
> talent and effort.  That is called sarcasm.

No, this is not sarcasm, this is just a problem description. The
previous icon theme has been designed by an artist who is no longer
designing YaST icons (that's what I understand, at least). Besides all
"ugly and dull" categorizations, criticism needs to be constructive as
well, and this is a problem because someone has to find and pay an
artist who is able to create icons that match the previous theme in the
first place.

The other solution is working together with the artist who designed the
new theme in order to make the new theme prettier and more acceptable
for as many users as possible. But for that in order to happen, the
criticism is (I'm really sorry to say that) far too hostile. Refusing to
cooperate with a party that makes this sort of criticism is something
that I would call legitimate.

> Yeah, of course YaST is unlikely to be used a lot once you're up and
> running, that's very true.  But your argument about some or other
> minor KDE apps was just as bad, I think.

It's not getting better. The integration work that has been put into
these items isn't minor. I think that there is a general problem of
underestimating other people's work and efforts, which is exactly what I
call "an approach that won't work".

Andreas Hanke