Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think maybe those who responded to my post are missing the reason why I
> posted. I have no doubt Dirsch is good. If he wasn't, Novell wouldn't have
> him on its payroll. This is not about Dirsh. It's about the SUSE
> developement system.

Then your message was not clear.

> [...]
> I may be wrong, but I think a professional development team should have a
> considerably wider range of available hardware to test on than I have. When
> I see a developer make a claim in a bug that "he" is unable to reproduce, I
> get the impression that this is not the case, as "he", being a member of a
> "team", is ostensibly speaking for the whole team, and thus if "he" cannot
> reproduce a reported problem, the whole team cannot reproduce.

We have a wide range - but we cannot have everything...

> As a relatively new participant in the relatively newly open source version
> of the SUSE development process I can't help but compare that process to
> that of Mandriva's Cooker, in which I've been participating far longer. In
> Cooker, bug owners rarely recommend reporters and other bug observers wait
> until an iso milestone to confirm or deny that a bug reportedly fixed has
> indeed been fixed.
>
> Like the Factory mirrors, the Cooker mirrors are in a virtually constant
> state of flux. It too will freeze briefly in order to ensure good isos when
> the times come for them. But bug owners there generally want to see to it
> that bugs they are working on get tested ASAP. When they provide a fix, they
> ask for immediate testing, not testing in some future milestone. This is
> normally easily accomplished, by doing 'urpmi update; urpmi --auto-select',
> which if done daily, usually takes maybe 10-15 minutes, and if weekly, well
> under an hour. Often because of the flux, something breaks, but usually that
> will be unrelated to whatever bug you're attempting to follow up on and will
> not impact the evaluation.

This is what we do in general and advise packagers to do - to use our
factory tree for our advantage.  Just sometimes you need a fixed
point...

> Expedient follow-up is particularly important with installer issues, which
> is what bug 204324 is. Doing otherwise invites installation issues to remain
> uncorrected for long periods of time. There should be nothing about the rest
> of the contents of some milestone that should impact whether a typical
> installer bug on legacy mainstream hardware is corrected.
>
> I do what I do as time permits. When told to wait, my quite fallible old
> memory tends to forget things with such inferred unimportance. When I get
> bugmail that tells me I should do something, but not now, not now tends to
> last a while.
>
> If you want me as a volunteer member of the community to continue to help
> you, I expect you to avoid having me waste my time or money, just like you
> expect me to try to avoid wasting yours. That's not what I'm seeing in bug
> 204324. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's not the impression I get by being
> told to wait and test an installer bug after the next iso set is released
> instead of ASAP.

Thanks for the explanation.  I hope we can get these resolved and
continue learning from each other,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.suse.de/~aj/