Felix Miata schrieb:
> Hello? Is not download.suse.org the mother of all others?

download.opensuse.org is a Redirector whose functionality relies on all
the other, real mirrors.

> YAST won't let me add a source

There is still the Alpha4 version of YaST/zypp on your system, which is
very old.

> I managed to rpm apt after failing with smart,

You can't reasonably install smart from Factory now because it is a
Python application and Python has been upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5. You
would have to replace *all* Python packages manually.

Same for yum. *If* you're going to try smart, you need the smart build
from the original Alpha4 media, not from Factory.

> but I can't figure out how to configure apt for factory.

First, you need an apt package that understands the "repomd" format (in
Factory there is still a version which doesn't support repomd and not a
single apt user requested to change this, why?), and then you need a
line like this in /etc/apt/sources.list:

repomd http://ftp-1.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution
SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse

(the above is all one line, the whitespace in the middle of the URL is
not an error)

You can find a repomd-enabled build of apt here:

http://repos.opensuse.org/home:/rbos

It seems that there are no packages for Factory. But the ones built for
10.1 should probably work. You need "apt" and "apt-libs", both in
exactly the same version.

> Google gives me all kinds of garbage other than
> what I need searching for 'apt-get configuration suse factory',
> including how to configure smart. :-p

Configuring smart for Factory is not different from the generic
configuration. Create a file named "factory.channel" on your Desktop
with the content

[factory]
type = yast2
name = Factory
baseurl =
http://ftp-1.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source

and import it using the command

smart channel --add $HOME/Desktop/factory.channel

Of course you can use a different mirror.

Otherwise I recommend calming down and not getting too frustrated on this.

Andreas