I received the below message from Duncan. I believe it was sent only to me by
mistake, therefore I forward it here as I believe it's important.

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 16:17, Martin Schlander wrote:
> Presently discussion is on-going in bugzilla about the architecture of
> package management, mostly wrt. 10.2. I think that we should clarify longer
> term goals. Which imho must be to not have zmd installed by default on
> openSUSE, as it causes problems and unnecessary complexity without adding
> functionality that the openSUSE users need. I'm curious if official people
> agree with this?

Doing an updater applet for Gnome is really easy. But we should see if it is
possible to extend the zen-updater to make it multi-backend.

Basically a direct-system applet does:

start,
every X time, launches /usr/sbin/zypp-check-patches-wrapper
parses xml output and display it in a fancy mode.
offers a button to launch yast2 inst_source and yast2_onlineupdate

That is. All the logic, caching, etc, is in zypp helper.

Perhaps a nice chance for the communty to contribute some lines of code.

Duncan