Jim,

On Saturday 04 November 2006 14:46, Jim Pye wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 23:16 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote in reply to
>
> jdd:
> > > may be one hour later a firefox session was running when the
> > > whole computer crashes (no mouse, no keyboard, completely
> > > stuck). I had to leave, so I switched off the computer and
> > > did not have the time to bring it up again.
> >
> > That sounds strange. After an hour, you say? Overheating?
> >
> > Did you get any messages in /var/log/messages?
>
> Is this the bug #216149? Might want to add your vote...

It does not seem to correspond to the symptoms I was originally reported
in 2161649. In that bug, it is only the X server that crashes, and it
is now known that the bug was introduced in moving to the X.org 7.2.
The machine is never left unresponsive, 'cause after the X server
crashes init (or the display manager or whatever) restarts it
immediately, at which point it functions seemingly normally until the
symptom re-occurs within about 1h45m to 2h or so.

And in my case, at least, it certainly is not heat-related, since the
machine is well ventilated, otherwise idle and uses a Core 2 Duo chip,
which if I understand correctly runs significantly cooler than its
older siblings (cousins?). In my case, the idling system's CPU
temperature is about 40C.

Randall Schulz