Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Tuesday 14 November 2006 17:57 schrieb jdd:
>> Lukas Ocilka a écrit :
>>> So, here are some rules:
>>>
>>> [ OK ] [ Cancel ]
>>>
>>> [ OK ] [ Cancel ] [ Skip ]
>>>
>>> [ Abort ] [ Retry ]
>>>
>>> [ Abort ] [ Retry ] [ Ignore ]
>>>
>>> [ Yes ] [ No ]
>>>
>>> [ Continue ] [ Cancel ]
>> abort and cancel are nearly the same, so
>>
>> * why two words?
>> * why a different layout (abort on left, cancel on right)?
>
> it cames from the time, where "Abort" did close the complete YaST window
> and "Cancel" just canceld one action (esp. in a popup box).

Hmm, yes, these are good questions :)
I think Andreas is right, but let's be more concrete...

[ OK ] [ Cancel ]
... is mostly used for pop-ups like: "Adding a new firewall rule" with
some other text entries (source port, source address). Canceling this
pop-up does not do any harm. 'true' - the expected 'return' is on the
left. So the pop-up is not indented for errors.

[ OK ] [ Cancel ] [ Skip ]
... maybe doesn't have any sense anymore :)

[ Abort ]
... is often used to abort the entire process or the entire workflow
(like adding new add-on product). In general, this leads in terminating
YaST which could be used either as installation or configuration tool.

[ Abort ] [ Retry ]
... is used when there is now way to skip the error printed above these
buttons. 'true' (?) - the expected return is on the left.

[ Abort ] [ Retry ] [ Ignore ]
... the same purpose as the previous one but we have a fall-back
`ignore, but it's only on the user's responsibility to select that way
and we don't recommend it :)

[ Yes ] [ No ]
... used for harmless errors or simple questions: "It's high time you
had your cup of coffee! Would you like your KDE to prepare one for you?"

[ OK ]
... used for harmless errors (if there is not way to recover from them)
or for messages.

[ Continue ] [ Cancel ]
... used for confirmation of some non-recoverable tasks, like removing
an installation source from or rather deleting some directory with it's
content. Sometimes [ Yes ] [ No ] is enough: "Are you sure you want to
remove the selected entry?" The expected return is on the left side.

As you can see, it's a bit more complicated and even YaST developers
aren't sometimes sure about the correct solution :) ;)

Anyway, thanks for your questions. They made me think about these issues
more than in the past and continuing on this sounds promising.

Lukas