I want to congratulate the openSUSE 10.2 developpers, because I'm on the way of installing the RC1 on a very low end machine

http://fr.opensuse.org/Utilisateur:Jdd/alb/La_Mouette

on this computer I could install 10.0 but not 10.1. The install, there, stopped at the partitionning part. This one is critical because no swap can be used when partitionning a hard drive :-)

today, I didn't repartitioned the computer, but reformat a partition with ext3 and all went well, quite fast and the minimal install is going and sheduled to run a little more than one hour, what is quite good on such hardware

I will have to use cd 2 and 3, but probably because i'm french

of course, I had to trick the install - cd don't boot, so first copy linux and initrd (this is a really wonderfull trick) on the HD, textmode=1 on the grub kernel line...

I want to enphasize on this because we have now a lot of outdated computer that are in perfect condition nearly for free.

In France, a lot of people don't have money to run new hardware and we are many to fear the social gap between people with internet access and people without.

In the whole world, much more people are in the same situation.

So having a recent system able to run on such kind of hardware is a real gift (don't even think running Vista on this).

and don't forget that those people may rule the world in few years... let alone by they number.

thanks again for me and all of them
jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net