Richard Bos wrote:
Op donderdag 30 november 2006 07:48, schreef Basil Chupin:
RC1 was upgraded last night (using smart) and I noticed that mc was one
of the apps which got upgraded.

Using mc, I went to copy a directory from the second HD (hdc), which is
formatted with reiserfs, to my home directory on the first HD (hda),
formatted with the now default ext3, and at the end of the "copying"
process the computer was locked solid - no keyboard, no mouse - only way
out was to reboot. After the reboot there was no sign of the copied
directory - ie, nothing got copied but the process just locked up the
system. To be sure that this was not a 'once off' occurrence I repeated
this 2x more with same results.

What I don't know is whether it is mc's F5 copy is doing this or whether
the standard command cp will also do the same - I cannot test at the
moment but I thought I would post this so that others may verify this
lockup.

I reported a sudden hangup of my test system 2 days (tue 28/11 21:30) as well. I did not have time to play further with the system. I'm not sure, but perhaps the system became unstable after the (4th) kernel upgrade....

Well at this point I have to retract my earlier comment about mc and not being able to copy using the F5 key. While the system froze again 3 times while I was testing, suddenly it stopped doing this and now I can copy whichever way I want: with mc, Konqueror and the command line cp command. All are working without a problem. Weirdest thing I've come across.

So, I'll put on hold the hassle with the copying and see what occurs after I reboot into RC1 later today.

Cheer.

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo Galilei