Keith Goggin schrieb:
> I've noticed that <filelists.xml.gz> is refreshed by Yast YOU if it has
> changed on the server. It takes me about 4 minutes to download from
> <mirror.pacific.net.au> and is currently 2.9MB in size.

It's really insane. This XML stuff has made SUSE distros basically
unusable without a broadband connection. 3MB before the distro is even
released - crazy!

> I had a look at this compressed text file and observed that it contains a
> very
> large proportion of redundant data.
>
>       /a/b/c/d/e/file1
>       /a/b/c/d/e/file2
>       etc
>
> If this file could be compressed further by omitting the redundant data the
> compressed version would download much faster and may improve the end users
> experience of updating their system.

Yes, there are much more efficient ways to store these data than repomd
does. But hey, XML is so much cooler.

Maybe one of those talented persons who designed repomd should have a
look at /var/lib/locatedb. It's able to store equivalent information
about 2 Linuxes, 1 Windows system and a lot of user files in just 2.5MB.
Thanks to not using XML.