On Wednesday 06 December 2006 12:35, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Wednesday 2006-12-06 at 11:29 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > CPIO is definitely a horse of a different color in the Unix archive
> > tool world. Apart from the fact that it is the basis of the RPM
> > format, it's really an archaic standard, having been supplanted by
> > TAR in the large majority of uses.
>
> I read once that the cpio archive is more solid.
>
> If the tar.gz archive is broken, all of it is broken. The backup
> program that claimed this explained that instead they used cpio,
> compressing each file separately: thus only one file would be
> irretrievable, not the whole archive.

But the tradeoff with per-file compression is that you typically get
rather poor compression for archives that contain many small files.

> > Naturally, "cpio --help" and "man cpio" will give you the
> > information you need.
>
> I tried - info cpio, actually, man is almost empty - and I almost run
> away. It is difficult to understand, and it has no examples.

I wish I could make "info" go away. I hate it. In addition to the
atrocious tools used to access it, having the information I seek as
fragmented as it is in the typical set of info pages is a disagreeable
experience. Just try to figure out how to do something non-trivial
with "sed" based on its info pages. You'll be pulling your hair out
soon enough.

> I didn't  realize the redirection was needed.

As I said, it's a horse of a different color.

RRS