> On 1/17/07, Randall R Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 January 2007 17:52, Edward Dunagin wrote:
> > >
> > > hey fellows and gals, this confuses me to no end.<sigh>
> > >
> > > here is my cat /proc/info
> > >
> > >  processor       : 0
> > > siblings        : 2
> > >
> > > processor       : 1
> > > siblings        : 2
> > >
> > > It sure looks like I have 2 processors.
> >
> > Yes, it does. What's the problem?
> >
> > > What say you?
> >
> > What's the question?
>
> It's a Pentium 4 that i bought almost 2 years ago and before
> duo was mentioned. So HOW do I have a Pentium 4 with 2
> cpu's?

It's a HyperThreading CPU. A half-hearted shot at a dual-core CPU. In a
dual-core CPU there's a 100% complete pairing of all the circuitry that
makes up a CPU (though they share the level 2 cache). In a
HyperThreading CPU not all of the CPU hardware is present twice, hence
there is less available parallelism. I don't know the details, but a
plausible example would be that two concurrent integer multiplies could
be occurring but two concurrent double-precision floating-point
multiplies could not take place.

Peace. Hah! If humans wanted it, they could have it...

Hmmm... I'm watching the season premier of "24"...

> -
> Edward Dunagin-Dunigan-Dunnigan

Got Dunnigan?

RRS