On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 13:59 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> > 2) Get the base-packages as slim as possible: not even networking!
> > If i want ethernet/isdn/i2c/??? OR i want to perform an installation via
> > http/ftp/tftp/nfs it is my decision!
> > The only thing that a base-package should be able to do, is installing
> > other packages. I would suggest to think about the base-package as the
> > ground work for embedded systems, that have a minimum hardware
>
> Here we disagree.  This is another purpose than what we need.
Don't think so.
Allthough it's good to keep your mind on what you're doing, it's good to
contemplate what and why one is doing something.
(correct me if i'm wrong or stray to far off ;-)
Currently, when installing you have four starting points with the
installer:
1) standard Gnome desktop
2) standard KDE desktop
3) Minimum with X
4) Minimum

With either of them you have the base package, and a number of
selectable threads (was: selections) and of course individual selectable
packages.

Even with "minimal" you get a lot of goodies, which should have been
selectable options, but are currently:
a) selectable, but "ON" by default, instead of "off" (like tcpdump)
b) have a mis-placed dependancy (like yast modules for radio,tv
blue-teeth, opensc in a system that lacks the hardware)

The first one, you can deselect manually, or create a xml-file for
installing. The second one, you can remove the packages afterwards.

But where are those options are going to?
Some of them, like tcpdump should go back where they orinally came from
powertools, or a "networking-thread"

>From the top of my head, i remember installation is roughly done in two
stages.
1) running from the initial boot medium (most rpm's ge installed here)
2) after the first boot (in which also configuration is done)

AFAIR, in both stages a hardware scan is performed, not?
Can't you use that to base your descicion on what is initially "on" or
"off"?

Coming back to the "four starting points" isn't that the place to have
more options?
1) feature rich Gnome desktop (current "standard")
2) feature rich KDE desktop (ditto)
3) minimal gnome/kde desktop (fits on a pendrive, no autodetect)
4) minimal with X
5) "home server"
6) real bare minimalistic starting point (good for XEN DOM-0)
7) suggestion?

> > 3) as you allready stated, you didn't mention the dependancies.
> > And I think, here is where 99,99% of the work lies.
> >
> > For instance ssh has a dependency on opensc (because of libopensc)
> > For me no big deal, as i play around with smartcards and tokes, but for
> > other people? I really fear that the same is true for other packages.
> >
> > Are you willing to re-analyse all packages, and rewrite the spec-files?
> > Eventhough the effort will be worthwhile, considering the concequences,
> > do you think it feasable for 10.3?
>
> I'm not willing to do all this myself ;-) But I hope that all of you
> will help with that and look at the culprits.  This is something we
> should do together ;-)

Centainly!

--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12