On Fri 09 Mar 2007 09:01:58 NZDT +1300, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Some system services use email to notify root or the user of some things.
> For instance, smart monitoring, raid monitoring, rm installs - there was a
> time when Yast mailed the user of some install notices.

Yes, having an MTA which can deliver local email is absolutely
essential. cron, smartmontools, fetchmail(!), you name it. What would be
a very good idea(TM) is if the MTA in its default configuration was
prevented from delivering email to other than localhost or one of
localhost's domain aliases. I tried this with postfix and found that
it's not possible, though there are 2 drastic and not very nice
workarounds for this problem. I believe Debian and a few other distros
have had a default of "no mail is delivered externally" for a long time.
SUSE should do likewise. Note I'm talking about the default config only
here.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.