Den Friday 06 April 2007 10:14:25 skrev Dominique Leuenberger:
> oh.. and zypper lu for some strange reasons shows no updates to be done
> on my installation; if I do rug lu, I see a bunch of updates. funny,
> zypper in can install them too.. so it knows about the catalogs :-) So
> probably also not the oh-wonder-it-s-magic tool (yet)

zypper lu only lists patches, not regular package upgrades like those from
factory, for that you use: zypper lu -t package (package as opposed to patch
which is the default option).

> In general, I think there are to many programs for the same thing being
> developed at the moment withing openSUSE: we have yast(you), zmd,
> zypper, all of them using libzypp (so far very good) but still, all of
> them failing in different places on libzypp bugs. (so not all use
> libzypp the same way). This work should be concentrated to one big
> stream... THAT would probably give the best package manager ever.

That work _is_ being concentrated right now by removing zmd+friends from
default and focusing on yast+zypper+desktop-specific-updater applets+libzypp.

That is also why I think you should support that process with testing and
feedback, instead of clinging on to the dreaded zmd-stuff - even though
zypper is presently a bit rough and libzypp is of course not blazingly fast.

You should also see Duncan speak about libzypp at FOSDEM:
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/FOSDEM/2007/fosdem2007-17_Common_package_and_patch_management_for_SUSE_Linux-640.ogg

And maybe have a look at some of the libzypp wiki pages:
http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp_Ng/Speed
http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp_NG