Hello,

on Donnerstag, 19. April 2007, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> * Christian Boltz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Apr 19. 2007 01:13]:
> > If it isn't too difficult, I would like to have a supported way to
> > upgrade a running system. Please offer both zypper (for
> > command-line fans) and YaST2 System Update (for more
> > mouse-orientated users).
>
> A lot of developers here do this, so its not a technical problem per
> se.
>
> However, the QA and testing effort is quite huge and getting it 'fool
> proof' might be a huge task.

Yes, understandable.
However, I would happily test it instead of having to wait for every
beta to install - which means at least 2 hours "downtime" on my
full-blown system... (yes, maybe I should uninstall some stuff.)

> Until now, we didn't get sufficient customer request for this to
> justify the effort.

Wrong answer ;-)
It happened more than once that someone tried to update his system
with "YaST2 System Update" which resulted in wrong YOU-sources (from
the old system), so everybody was warned not to use this YaST module.
IIRC, there's even a SDB article about it which states that you should
never upgrade a running system, but always boot the install CD to
upgrade the system.

And now you are wondering that this is rarely used and/or requested...

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Designpreise sind wie Modenschauen: Was da beklatscht wird, ist
interessant, Neu, aufregend und definitiv nicht tragbar im Alltag.