Druid schreef:
>> I think my proposal of
>> - no automatic inter-vendor upgrades, only explicit
>> - only explicit user locks (rules)
>>
>> is much more simple and consistant.
>
> Its better, a little bit saner. I would prefer not to upgrade by default.
>
> You dont need to upgrade either when there is a new version of a
> package in packman either. Specialy when there are some cvs builds,
> experimental stuff, that can break easily. And as people said, just
> because you want codecs, doesnt mean you want to install alsa and lots
> of other core packages available in packman for some reason.
>
> HenneĀ“s proposal will increase upgraditis. We dont need that. Its
> enough clueless people breaking their sytems with xgl, compiz and
> beryl.

This is not realy correct, if a system has to be improved, in this case
the way to update/grade, this feature has to be tested vigourously, i
would not want to call this behaviour 'upgraditis' ...in this case..

A way has to be found, to upgrade from url, without to have to be afraid
to loose a goodworking system...

<INTERMEZZO>

> I guess that everyone has his/her own taste  according the look and feel  of
> his/her Desktops.
>
> So am I liking one specific transparent sys-monitor, which comes with
> caramba: i-cons-sysres.
>
> In the upper-right corner of the screen (you can hang it where-ever you
> like..)it shows me CPU, RAM and swap load consumption, little things i want
> to know if the sys slows down.(top open on another desktop to find the
> cause..)
> I do not need a dominant gui, just the figures is enough.
>
> But caramba's support stopped somehow, and as KDE loads all apps i have open
> when i shut down,(very nice feature btw..) it now stopped to load the monitor
> (and Also Amarok (<after a Guru update), and i have to load them by
> hand...shame..)
>
> As I have all the apps I use getting loaded on start-up, the start-up time is
> a little longer, but everything should be ready when i come back...
>
> But now corn has to ask everytime for validating the mailserver-certificate,
> and when i answer 'accept forever', every session this is asked, for 2
> mailboxes x 4 buttons to push?
> These things make me dislike an ap, (might be a bug..), makes me decide to
> shut it off..(or get an update..if there was one..)
>
> Also, still the time nessesary for reading the metadata is much too long, and
> that way updating, or installing an app, takes too much time....
>
> (What happened to the clever discussion about this subject some weeks ago?)
>
> (just little annoyances, making the experience a little less fun, that is
> all..)

I like SuSE very much, installed the 102 32Bits retailversion on a
U-Buddy yesterday. (barebone) P4 2.66GHz, 1024MB Ram, 160GB 2,5 " IDE
HDD, which has to gonna be my 'car-pc', for in the camper, USB GPS for
the 'tomtom' and a 12" touchscreen (second-hand, has to be 'rubberized'
open steel version), come to it, doing this all by myself, save me about
600,- euro, minimum.

The idea to have lot of music, good movies, and all my apps while
traveling makes me feel very 'complete'..

> Marcio
> ---
> druid

- --

Have a nice day,

M9.               Now, is the only time that exists.

  OS:  Linux 2.6.18.8-01-default x86_64
  Huidige gebruiker:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Systeem:  openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64)
  KDE:  3.5.5 "release 45.4"