On Mon, 21 May 2007, Peter Czanik wrote:

> I work a lot with machines with limited amount of RAM, like:
> http://www.genesippc.com/openclient.php , but also many old PC's, which
> are still suitable for running xfce, Opera, vnc and rdesktop.
> Installation on these machines is getting more and more difficult due to
> RAM requirements of the installer (especially the package manager).
> Right now the only way to install openSUSE on such a machine is to
> enable a swap partition at the beginning of installation. Here comes a
> catch: one can not enable a swap partition, when a HDD is not yet
> partitioned, or partitioned for Windows, so the disk has to be
> partitioned manually with fdisk or parted before the installation can begin.
> I wonder, if support for swap file could be added to LinuxRC, so these
> machines could be installed a lot more easy. There are many ways
> implementing it. For 2-3 installations even an USB key would do the job
> (yes, I know that they don't like many write operations, but one does
> not install machines so often :-) ), or any existing ext2/reiserfs/FAT
> partition, which Linux can write. One could use a 'swfilepart=/dev/sdb1'
> parameter to choose a device and then create a  big enough
> 'suseinstallswap' file, which can be deleted at the end. 'big enough' is
> about 350MB for factory / ftp installation source. Then mkswap, swapon
> could be ran on it, and installation of these low RAM machines could be
> done just as any other openSUSE install.
> This is of course only for 'advanced' users, who know what they do, just
> as installing from a partition, where the user needs to take care, that
> the installation source is not formatted during installation :-)

Really cool users can show their advancedness by booting with (for example):

insmod=vfat exec="mount /dev/sda1 /mnt ; dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/foo bs=1G
count=1 ; mkswap /mnt/foo ; swapon /mnt/foo ; /usr/local/bin/umount -l /mnt"

which does exactly what you want. :-)

No idea what evil things will happen if you resize that partition in yast,
though.

Steffen