* Please test the new 1 CD GNOME and KDE installation media and tell
  us how to improve them.  Please keep in mind the space constraints.

Tried the 1-CD KDE media on one laptop so far.  I've tried the Installation options from
the menu (Installation, ACPI disabled, local APIC disabled, safe).  They all end up at
the same place: "Could not find the openSUSE Installation CD."

Did not have this problem while installing other distros on this laptop,
including Mandriva, Mint, Mepis, and Kanotix.

Compaq Presario 710US

booting from that CD, using network install failed from
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
"Installation system does not match your boot medium."  "An error occurred during
the installation."

installing from 1-CD KDE media with "brokenmodules=pata_via" worked - it
decided to use via82cxxx

automatic settings for X failed but was able to fix with "sax2 -r -i -a"

my wifi card not working - "Agere Systems", "Wireless PC Card Model 0110"

From my limited experience, the 1-CD KDE installation could be improved if:

  1- a newbie might give up when faced with the installation problem caused by
"pata_via".  Can this be improved with better hardware detection or with some
method that detects the failure and automatically tries an alternative?

  2- I remember choosing this wifi card because it used to be supported by
Linux.  I'll have to dig further into how to get it working.  It would seem
that wireless networking still needs some improvement.  If it can't
automatically detect and enable all wifi hardware variations, maybe we can help
the newbie with a utility that tries to identify the card and jump to a website
with instructions and downloads to enable that hardware.

  3- After installation, I tried to add some of my favorite utilities using
YAST.  Software Management didn't find any of them.  Maybe the 1-CD media could
automatically add a repository for the Internet installation so that it will be
easier for the newbie to add programs?  (If that option was already provided
during the installation, I must've missed it.)

....Gregg Nicholas