I had to test a HP photosmart 2575 printer.

I was not so happy with USB and not yet able to configure the wifi, then I tried ethernet..

I have no DHCP on my net, so I configured the printer from it's own panel for a fixed IP.

I don't really understand the use of gateway and DNS for a printer interface, and don't like it so much, but for a small test, no harm.

from there on, the printer web server was up and running, accessible without problem from the IP.

There I could see the printer name (HP062964) and the mac adress.

I was not able to configure it with Yast... not detected and I didn't know anything of the printer card config (the doc i "set the cd in the computer and say OK"... for an XP computer, more later)

but the hp-tools (system/monitor, why are they there and not in config??) found the printer and setup cups on the fly

At a moment, stuck on a printing, I could see the IPP report:

ipp://<localhost>:631/printer/Photosmart_2570

but the scanner was not seen by hp-tools... need Yast to install the scan, after that all goes well... nearly.

some apps are desperatly slow as of printing. I see this in seamonkey 2.0 (alpha, needless to say), but also on kooka. scanning an document and trying to print immediatly after with kooka gives 1/2 hour waiting, 25Mo printing file for a 45ko jpeg file... and no option get better (75 dpi scan).

the very same file is printed bearly instantly by the hp-tools...

Having installed this same printer on XP (with the HP disk), I could see that the port was "hp standard TCP/IP port" and details said "9100".

I know this was an option in yast, but one must think to give the IP in place of the name and it's not detected

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://gourmandises.orangeblog.fr/