On Sunday 02 September 2007 16:15, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> > Be aware that abandoning mount by device path was forced by increasing
> > number of devices that can be mounted in different order on each boot
> > which results in different path. All SATA and USB devices are prone to
> > that.
>
> Internal sata devices could be mounted in different order each boot?

My bad :-(
SATA is not in the same bag as USB.
SATA device placement can be changed on hardware changes. Adding or removing
PATA drive will automatically change SATA placement reported by BIOS and goof
mounting if it is defined by device path. This is not a big problem if you
know that it exists, but there is no problem if you use present schema or
mounting by label (haven't checked the rest).

> > In order to access them you have to know where they are located, with
> > different path each time you have to find something that doesn't change.
> > Serial numbers are safe bet, they will be the same even across multiple
> > installations, or large systems with whole a lot of hard disks. Lables
> > would be too, but than you risk to create system that is today fine, but
> > with increase in number of devices can run out of available labels in the
> > future. The present system will hardly hit the limit any soon.
>
> Ok, I've read up a bit on udev and am aware now of the possibilities. But
> I'm not running a serverfarm here.

The openSUSE is created for many different users, and present schema works for
all of them. Besides if you replace disk with present schema mount will
report error even if disk is formatted ie. mountable, but content doesn't fit
in your system. This will prompt you to update configuration. Mount by path
on the other hand can happily accept that disk which can lead to problems
later. The label system can do the same if label is the same.

> I change disks once in 2 years maybe.

For most desktop users this is not an issue, except the case with SATA drives
that happen not so often.

> Anyway, if all this worked I couldn't care less, except for the serial
> number notion (which i realize is not trivial to get rid of if you want the
> above safety net).

If disk serial number is problem as privacy concern, than forget it.
The Ethernet card has unique number, motherboard, if computer is brand name,
has another one, than IP address, and more can be used to identify person.
Of course not by everyone, but privacy in the Internet is illusion.
Those that sell privacy services with very broad claims of protection count on
peoples lack of knowledge. "Browse Internet anonymously" is one of slogans I
can recall. They protect to some extent, but far from total.

> But my initial posting was about an internal device
> disappearing from the usual mount infrastructure.

It is solved.

> Thank you again for your advice, Wolfgang

Have fun!
--
Rajko.