jacob berkman wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Wolfgang Rosenauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So where is the bug number in that changelog entry? We are after beta3
>> so I'd expect a bugnumber here.
>
> There is no bug number because nobody has used the functionality that
> this supports.  The second someone would try to use it there would be
> one!  There are plenty of relevant fate #s, such as 301351 and then a
> really vague one or two.  I could certainly open a new bug.
>
>> What's the reason to merge the tools subpackage to the base package?
>
> The packages that perform system-wide certificate authentication
> (pam_pkcs11, krb5-preauth-plugin-pkinit or something) use a
> system-wide nss database for configuration of pkcs11 packages.  The
> postinst scripts for pkcs11 packages should probably add themselves to
> this system db, but someone needs to create this database in the first
> place.  It may as well be the nss package itself.

That might be all true and actually a thing like that was planned when I
still was there. I don't argue against the fact that the -tools package
is needed anyway in these cases.

> So, that means that the tools package is always needed;

No, it isn't. mozilla-nss (the libs) are used by the mozilla
applications (and a few others) which don't need the tools. So it's not
_always_ needed to have a working NSS environment. It's _always_ needed
if "(pam_pkcs11, krb5-preauth-plugin-pkinit or something)" is used.
That's the difference.

> I asked on one
> of the opensuse lists (-gnome?) last week about this, but I guess
> you're not on that?

No, I'm not. I don't have anything to do with Gnome but I have much to
do with mozilla and NSS isn't Gnome related at all.

> Anyway I don't really care either way what the
> package layout is; we just need to make sure that both the libs and
> tools are both installed by anyone who needs nss.

OK, that's a valid point but the solution IMHO is not to add the tools
to the library package but having correct dependencies or patterns
reflecting the requirement.

Thanks for your feedback,

 Wolfgang