jdd schreef:
> M9. wrote:
>
>> In my config there are only trusted hosts...
>> (in a windows case there are constantly hosts that are informed
>
> informed?

spyware and datamining.. ;-)
( i know this is unknown to linux :-)

>> yes it has to let me know who is going out and going in, and i must be
>> able to shut whatever port i like, in principle..
>
> this is not a firewall but a proxy server.

no, in windows, a firewall can do that..

> Usually, a firewall blocks all the ports. That means that no
> communication can be initiated from the exterior to the inside. If
> inside your computer you ask an application to go and search, this is
> allowed.
>
>> If some host wants to enter my pc, i want to know this,
>
> what does this mean for you??

that my spyware-killers do not work.. (please do not forget my decade of
windows use ;-)

> all what an external program can do on your computer is read a port or
> write a port.
>
> closing a port means only that this write is rejected (or simply
> ignored). In fact, if no application is listening (by reading this
> port), the write *is* ignored
>
>> If i give a password to a host, it can enter without noticing me, as
>> long as i want to let the firewall exept the password.
>
> this may be the windows way of life, but it's not Linux one.

indeed, some habits die hard ;-)

if I do
> "ssh <somecomputer>", my ssh will try to write to the ssh port of this
> computer. If, for example, it's a windows 98 with no firewall at all,
> but with no ssh server neither, nothing is going on and I cannot enter
>
> to enter a computer you must have a server that allows this
>
>> A good firewall can handele this perfectly, with just one card.
>
> nope.     untrusted pc can  attack a trusted one. This is like having
> all computers exposed to the exterior and youi have to protect all of them

my router is a firewall, and all PC's and laptops have one..

>> As i understand, only for the ports used by samba for the LAN?
>
> well, the windows smb implementation seems to be programed in an evil
> way and don't use always the same ports, so one must let many ones open
> (that is may listen to these ports and answer to them) and this is
> unsecure.
>

>>>  use of samba server on suse fixes the permission problem.
>>
>> Samba server i did not use before...
>
> how did you grant access to your linux computer from windows then?

Sorry, it is the client and the server, i thought of an aplication like
server-edition.. euh..errr..;-)

> access must be done on the host:
>
> * by a standard protocol (smb, ssh, ftp, http...) accepted by a server
> * by two applications sharing the same port

yes that is the procedures..

> anyway, if you had a working config one day, and now it's no more
> working, there is to have been a change in between :-)

Offcourse there has to be a change to change something.
In this case i did not change a thing.
Why should i?
It worked, and i never change something that does its job well..

again, that is why i call the firewall inconsistant..

If it is too much trouble to config it right, i shut it off, no big
deal..(router is sufficient, and one pc can use DHZ )

- --

Have a nice day,

M9.               Now, is the only time that exists.

  OS:  Linux 2.6.22.5-10-default x86_64
  Huidige gebruiker:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Systeem:  openSUSE 10.3 (X86-64) Beta3
  KDE:  3.5.7 "release 58"