On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 22:24 +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 11 Oktober 2007 schrieb Christian Boltz:

> > IMHO the answer depends on how many energy can be saved. Do you have
> > some rough numbers?

> On my old laptop about 5% when idle. It depends on the exact configuration.
> 5% should be about typical for a laptop with only a keyboard (or mouse)
> attached. The main savings come from suspending the controller and
> going into deeper C states, so it doesn't matter which type of device is
> attached as long as it supports autosuspend.

I prefer the energy savings. 5% (I assume as a fraction of maximum power
consumption) is noticeable. If your total battery lifetime is 3 hours
you will get an additional 9 minutes.

I'm also assuming the keyboard LEDs would come back when you start doing
something, like typing, and stay on for a while before going away again.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how common it is to have a keyboard
attached to a laptop running on batteries...

--
Hans Petter