Motherboard is ASRock cheapie using VIA KT880 chipset with one PATA HD. I
used grub to load the initrd & installation kernel that were built yesterday
for factory. This is tail of boot screen messages:

  drivers: via82cxxx, pata_via, ata_generic, pata_acpi, generic
ASRock In K7VT6 motherboard
  drivers: sata_via

This didn't happen a few days ago when I tried the same thing before knowing
base gcc deps weren't building.

Grub cmdline is:
kernel (hd0,0)/factory/linux
install=http://mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source
hostip=# netmask=# gateway=# nameserver=207.69.188.185 hwprobe=-modules.pata
noapic splash=0 vga=788

Is hwprobe=-modules.pata no longer valid, or just broken for VIA? If I remove
 hwprobe=-modules.pata, the boot message lines above are the same, and
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409