On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 12:56 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Trying to lighten my desktop a little, I checked what happens when
> I remove evolution-data-server.
>
> Most of this is logical
>
>    empathy evolution-data-server gnome-contacts gnome-maps
>    gnome-shell-calendar gnome-shell-search-provider-contacts
>    libebackend-1_2-10 libebook-1_2-19 libebook-contacts-1_2-2
>    libecal-1_2-19 libedata-book-1_2-25 libedata-cal-1_2-28
>    libedataserver-1_2-22 libedataserverui-1_2-1 libfolks-eds25
>    libfolks-telepathy25 libfolks25 typelib-1_0-GFBGraph-0_2
>
> but gnome-maps?  Isn't that a bit much to depend on evolution-data-
> server?
> Could that be a "soft" dependency instead of a hard requirements?

gnome-maps links into the evolution address book - you can enter
Contact Names into the Search field in GNOME Maps; for this it needs
the integration with evolution-data-server.

The dependency though is not in gnome-maps itself, but is abstracted
over folks.

But the current design of gnome-maps's does not allow to split out such
consumer into optional packages, as it is all linked into a monolithic
gnome-maps library.

Cheers,
Dominique