n Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Stuart Tanner <stu...@bolin.org.uk> wrote:
> Kim

> I have inspired quite a number of people in uni this week to build their final
> year bachelor projects around openSUSE Linux running on Beowulf Clusters and
> connecting in with openSUSE / LXDE / kiwi-ltsp to replicate thin client
> technology by reclaiming and reusing older computer hardware.

> Stuart

Exciting stuff, Stuart!

On the topic in general, just to throw in my 2c - I think it depends
on who you are talking to. There are times when we will want to focus
on desktop, and times to focus on server, as well as other, broader
aspects of the project as discussed previously. I'll be interested to
hear what comes out of the board's review of the strategy team's work.

Balance is on the whole a healthy approach, but I think one area that
worries all of us is division of limited resources; I know I'm finding
myself pulled in many directions. With so many great things going on,
it can be difficult to stay focused. So perhaps we need to have some
ideas for tracking tasks, so we know what is being done, our own place
in the ecosystem, and can also see where attention is being focused
(so areas that are neglected will also stand out). Maybe simple
kanban? http://simple-kanban.com/

There might be times when we really need to hone in on one or two
things for specific conferences or events; perhaps we need to look at
release schedules for different parts of the project and have a
cyclical approach.

I concur with the need to emphasize end-user, Desktop and non-business
functions, because SUSE and Novell have such an established business
orientation that many people might overlook openSUSE because of that -
forgetting that the very stability and functionality that makes it
perfect for business will also enhance their own work and home use.

cheers

Helen