From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvl...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:23:46
To: <opensuse-marketing@opensuse.org>
Cc: Stuart Tanner<stu...@bolin.org.uk>; <opensuse-ambassad...@opensuse.org>
Subject: Re: [opensuse-marketing] Gnome 3.0 / Launch Party in Manchester

On 2011-04-02 Stuart wrote:
> As per Bryen's email earlier I have contacted the Manchester Team at
> Free software UK and I am attending their launch party.
>
> But I don't get away free so I have to give a talk about "openSUSE /
> Novell / Gnome" Relationship..
>
> Based on the fact I am a KDE User by heart I am looking for tips,
> ideas and sub topics that I can put together to take promote the
> gnome side of suse.

Look at our talking points page for a few things. To that I can add that
Novell does most of the work on Evolution (it even used to be Ximian
Evolution, Ximian being part of Novell), Banshee and other GNOME apps.
Novell employs people like Vuntz (gnome release manager and often said
to be "father of gnome 3"), Miquel d'icaza (who started GNOME) and many
other well known gnomies like Michael Meeks.

GNOME is indeed the default desktop of SLED (KDE as a choice) just like
KDE is the default on openSUSE and GNOME is a choice there. For openSUSE
11.4, we'll have the best GNOME 2.x implementation as the one in Ubuntu
is crippled and changed with Unity and Fedora will have the quite new
(and probably weird for many) gnome 3.

In other words, if you like your current GNOME 2.x, openSUSE is actually
THE linux distribution where you can enjoy it for the next 8 months...
We won't ship GNOME 3 until 3.2 which will most likely be the first
version to have all the improvements based on user feedback - I wouldn't
ship the 3.0 to normal end users (like Fedora does).

Now how about you add the arguments above to our talking points page on
the wiki? ;-)