On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Stuart Tanner <stu...@bolin.org.uk> wrote:
> Good Morning Helen (in 45 mins) :)

Good morning to you too :))

> Well, I am selling the DVD's at the moment here in the UK at the rate of about
> 4-5 a week, some of the money raised goes back into marketing, at the moment
> through paid advertising in the loot and Qype and others, I am going to setup
> a token payment to both KDE and Gnome Foundations to assist them and once the
> foundation for openSUSE Foundation is ready I will do the same.
>
> I thought about making a regular PayPal Direct debit for about £20 pounds each
> money - equivelent to about the profit from one sold box per month to each
> foundation to start off with and as business grows, then perhaps I can expand
> that, but I am looking to expand this business model to other countries and
> each of those countries will also be making a donation to said foundations in
> time.
>
> Hopefully this will benefit all the coomunities upstream and within our own
> foundation when its launched.

Contributing to upstream projects sounds like an excellent solution in
the meantime, since their work is so critical to the success of
openSUSE.

I don't know much about business, but putting some profit back into
building and growing the business makes a lot of sense, especially if
you're looking to expand internationally. Do you need to work with
international business law or is the EU now covered by one set of
laws?

Now if you keep at it and build a big business out of this, then I can
write a profile on you - "Business Success - You Really Can Make a
Million Out Of Open Source" so that more people will free their code
:))

best,

Helen

--