On 2011-07-13 Bruno wrote:
<snip>
> The default home page of all browsers on opensuse points to a very
>> simple url, like opensuse.org/home
>>
>> That page is so usefull that almost all users will appreciate it.
>>
>> For example, it just consists of a very plain and simple
>> search bar (like this well-known one: http://www.google.de/firefox/).
>> Or, maybe even better, it simply offers a number of search engines,
>> and it will, based on a cookie, from here on replace itself with that
>> search engine --- or even a blank page (about:blank).
<snip>
> Even if the idea seems nice, it has lots of limits.
> Firstly you will never see my browser here, that will not be my
> homepage :-) Nor for the openSUSE I install.
>
> Next you get a cookie, but it's totally false assumption that the
> desktop is installed how would you differentiate livecd with new
> cookie each time, or desktop installed and then replace by another
> distribution by the end user ?
>
> How accurate will be your stats based on biased sources ?

I also wonder - is this more accurate than counting the visits of a
system to download.opensuse.org? I thought we had a reasonably accurate
way of distinguising systems there? Not every system uses firefox
(servers don't, lots of chromium, opera and other users out there).

I do like the idea of having a nice custom homepage for firefox so in
that regard I'm all for it. And, following manu, I can only ask if
anyone here or on the artist list (CC'ed) might be interested in making
such a standard homepage?