On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 16:41 -0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> We have all een complaining at times about our two repositories on
> gitorious. First of all because they overlap - the one (openSUSE/art)
> has both distro artwork and marketing things, the other (opensuse-
> artwork) has only marketing things. The second complaint is that
> gitorious isn't easy to work with.
>
> For the first problem: I have moved the stuff from openSUSE/art to
> gitorious where it seemed to make sense to me. I did however not ask if
> you all were OK with that so I do that now - better to ask for
> forgiveness and revert a commit than to ask for permission :D
>
> If you are unhappy with the changes, let me know please! If you don't
> have access to opensuse-artwork, let me know too :D
>
> Second, gitorious is not perfect for us. The biggest issue, at least for
> the upcoming 12.1 release, is that you can not download files from
> there. At least, not if they are bigger than 1 MB or so. That is a big
> problem. Now we haven't decided on a good successor yet but for the time
> being I am going to clone our repo into Github. There you can, ON THE
> WEBSITE, see differences between files, and you can download big files.
> That solves at least the biggest issues... We can then, later on, decide
> on a better solution.
>
> Let me know what you think about moving to Github. Yes, it's not
> perfect, but other parts of openSUSE are also moving there and we could
> quite easily migrate what we have now to github and have something at
> least a bit better while we look for a perfect solution for us :D
>
> Cheers,
> Jos

Github is great for a repo like this... their imaging tools [1] are
amazing, and downloads are much easier.

Bad news is that the tool itself isn't as open as Gitorious, but,
well... meh (for me).

For my part, I subscribe to the repos with Sparkleshare anyway, so its
all local to me.

[1] https://github.com/blog/817-behold-image-view-modes

--
James Mason