Hi,

I drafted a very-very first version of our OBS 2.3 anouncement.
If someone wants to improve it or fix my broken english it would
be great.

I plan also to add some pictures. We will not release before of
end of next week (maybe later, depending on some work regarding
the official support).

It will appear on our openbuildservice.org site and be sent
out via usual announce channels:

The <a href="http://www.open-build-service.org"; title="OBS Home Page">Open
Build Service</a> version 2.3.0 brings new features esp. in the Maintenance and
Release Management area and is the latest stable maintained version. It is
recommended to update to this version to get improved security protections and

OBS 2.3 brings the functionality to maintain a released software product in an
efficient and transparent way. This includes
<ul>
        <li>Update coordination: One or more maintenance groups can decide if
and when to start or release an update. This includes also the tracking of new,
running and processed updates.</li>
        <li>QA and Review integration: The current state of an update is always
visible and trackable. Review processes can be integrated.</li>
        <li>Release Management: Isolated build and tested updates can be
release or revoke via OBS mechanism.</li>
        <li>Multiple code stream support: An issue can be handled for multiple
code streams.</li>
        <li>Documentation support: The documentation of an update for the
end-user is integrated</li>
</ul>
This functionality is already used for doing the <a
href="https://build.opensuse.org/project/maintenance_incidents?project=openSUSE%3AMaintenance";
 title="Running openSUSE Incidents">maintenance updates for the openSUSE
distributions</a>. The features can be used altogether or in parts for own
products.

Furthermore the version 2.3 provides
<ul>
        <li>A greatly improved web interface, including user management, syntax
highlighted source editor and improved source diff review views</li>
        <li>Improved Cross Build Support via Qemu</li>
        <li>Functionality to hide entire projects</li>
        <li>Issue tracking support, tracking documented fixes in external
bugzilla, fate and CVE instances in packages.</li>
</ul>

It is recommended to read the <a
href="https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/blob/2.3/ReleaseNotes-2.3";
title="OBS 2.3 Release Notes">Release Notes</a> before updating an instance.
OBS packages can be found in the <a
href="http://https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=openSUSE%3ATools";>openSUSE
 Tools project</a> or as <a
href="http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Appliance";>an appliance</a>
which can be used on hardware or in VM.

Your Open Build Service team

 LINK_TO_PICTURE

<strong>About Open Build Service</strong>
The Open Build Service (OBS) is an open and complete distribution development
platform. It provides the infrastructure to easily create, release and maintain
software for openSUSE and other Linux distributions on different hardware
architectures. It is developed under the umbrella of the openSUSE project, but
is licensed under GPL and used by other open source projects like MeeGo or
Tizen. It is also used by universities, ISV's and companies like Intel, Dell,
SGI.

<strong>Support Offerings for Open Build Service</strong>

--
Adrian Schroeter
SUSE Linux Products GmbH