Greetings,

That was the day before Regional Elections in France and people sort
of hibernated, except a few pinguins….. Like those from NUI and myself
:)

Father Xmas bag with a few goodies from Doug (thanks my savior) and
waiting for the bona fide visitor and/or the reckless visitor running
away from the Xmas shopping :)

1.    We had a Greek lady (phew… living in France) who had just
brought a brand new Lenovo laptop. I did not have the courage to
“migrate” her to openSUSE Leap 42.1 nor did I give her a DVD. Instead,
we took this opportunity to teach her LibreOffice because that will be
the entry point to use openSUSE desktop (Gnome/Plasma …). She has a
Ph.D so she was receptive…

2.    Two lads came round, one with openSUSE 13.2 and the other with
SLED 11 SP4. Both had VLC issues, in a nutshell VLC KO… tried many
scenarios but to no avail. The one with 13.2 took a openSUSE Leap to
reinstall everything because the box has been tempered with a lot and
VLC was really a pain….. The other one will come next month to
troubleshoot further….

3.    A couple walked in, the man wanted to upgrade 13.1 to 13.2 and
the lady a Samsung tablet with GPS issues. We will soon rename our
association to Samaritans and Co. Sic. No backup was made and here was
no particular issue to address, the operation was postponed for
January, but what I did not know, she asked information to
openstreetmap who was here as well and she used a couple of gigs on my
SIM card to download new firmware et al. Ok, proud to announce
Smaritans and co is up and running….

4.    We had 3 school teachers (they came separately). Oh well, one of
them is a regular, so father Xmas (FX) was generous. He helped out a
few newcomers having a quick start!

5.    Two employees (senior) of the city walked in. They do go into
extra gratia considerations for us, again FX said thanks for 2015. Not
wanting any change of the city software for the time being…. They had
a look round and were happy that the crowd looked pretty much
interested in what they were doing. They have been invited to have
dinner forthcoming Friday at home! I am cooking!

6.    Openstreetmap gave his usual lecture but non on the real FX
timetable, sadly enough because a man brought his 2 and an half years
old son around. I completely forgot to debug games, so the kid had to
indulge in geek talks but the dad was here for serious matters, like
ssh!

7.    A strange guy walked in, went round, and out of the sudden
disappeared while taking away a couple of DVD… Maybe a spy as now the
coalition of UBUNTU or else as 5 different associations against poor
us…. Since 1st of January last,  Rouen is the capital of Normandie, so
help me God!

8.    Didier came with his PC and it was a real fight to get it going

9.    A man asked us about a similar feature to accept all third party
and/or non free software like Debian does with apt-get (particularly
for video cards)

10.  6 ladies came round and 22 other men with normal questions and
answers etc. All usual members/visitors were taken care by FX. We had
cakes, compliments of NUI and some members, tea/coffee/soft drinks as
well. Chocolate was part of the diet and we happily closed down before
cleaning evrything because the next day there were electoral booths in
this very room.

11.  A late comer wanted a software dealing with Astronomy sort of
mathematical exploitation of Astronomical data, we were all dumb :(

I must say that we had very bad times this year. Old Novell/Microsoft
agreement did pushed us out of RMLL last Summer. Just banned! Now, not
less than 5 local associations have made a coalition to push UBUNTU
and in their blogs sometimes giving contra indications on openSUSE.
Against all odds, we nevertheless had 10 sessions in 2015.

Leftovers for 2016:

1.    Rsync server

2.    lftp server

3.    Many gigs in the “cloud”

4.    Scratch all our 21 boxes plus 9 laptops with 32bit openSUSE/SUSE
 or 64 bit where available….

5.    Mastering UEFI installation

6.    Mastering live-grub-stick in lieu of multisystems

7.    Mastering dual booting Tumbletweed

8.    Ordering banners

9.    Keeping websites/blogs alive and well

10.  Change NUI name because of legacy gossiping? Linuxuniversity.fr
been reserved liNuxUnIversity. (NUI) I will need to decreet same and
change the legal paper work/bits…..

Cheers,

Jimmy